Law Clerk Wanted
Berrien County Trial Court
St. Joseph, MI 49085
Years of Experience:
No previous experience in legal research is required. Familiarity with Westlaw and LexisNexis.
Graduation from an accredited law school is required.
apply at www.berriencounty.org/581/Employment
- Conducts legal research and prepares memoranda on civil motions, outlining issues and arguments of both parties involved, and the proposed dispositions with stated reasons.
- Conducts legal research and prepares memoranda on criminal motions, outlining issues and arguments of both parties involved, and the proposed dispositions with stated reasons.
- Prepares drafts of proposed appeal opinions and orders.
- Reads, classifies, and maintains all briefs filed with the Law Clerks and/or Staff Attorney(s) in the Trial Court in subject matter files for easy reference by the Court as needed.
- Performs a variety of tasks incidental to the above, such as responding to telephone inquiries from attorneys and others; composes and stores the work product.
- Serves as court organizer for motions.
- May be required to operate Court recording equipment and record Court hearings according to State mandated policies and procedures.
- As directed, acts as an Attorney Magistrate in the Civil and Criminal Divisions of the Court.
- Completes special projects and assignments, including complex legal research, as required by a Trial Court Judge.
- All other duties as assigned.