Judicial Secretary to Honorable Muriel Hughes
August 13, 2021
Judicial Law Clerk
Third Judicial Circuit of Michigan
Detroit, MI 48226
Judicial Secretary – Honorable Muriel Hughes (Civil Division & Business Court)
Experience conducting legal research using Westlaw, Lexis, and available legal resources.
Graduate of an accredited law school with a GPA of 3.0 or higher, writing sample required as well.
Official application forms must be received no later than 4:30 p.m. on the last day of this announcement. Applications will only be accepted submitted from the following website: http://www.3rdcc.org/job-postings
DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
Under limited supervision of a Judge, assists the Judge in making sure the Court room operates efficiently and effectively; processes routine legal paper work and correspondence; reviews, studies and researches laws, court decisions, documents, opinions, briefs, and orders.
• Researches legal issues in response to motions before the Court.
• Conducts legal research as assigned, drafts summary of findings; drafts proposed legal memoranda, documents, and opinions.
• Reviews complaints, petitions, motions or pleadings that have been filed to determine issues involved or basis for relief.
• Compiles references on laws and decisions necessary for legal determinations.
• Attends court sessions to hear oral arguments or records necessary case information.
• Follows up initial work with additional research after discussion with or at the request of the Judge.
• Responds to Judge’s requests for immediate information and research.
• Provides information to attorneys, litigants, and others regarding court procedures.
• Drafts or proofreads legal opinions, decisions, or citations.
• Summarizes and compiles various court opinions, compiles and maintains standard jury instructions and other information.
• Remains current with recent changes in the law, court rules, and court procedures.
• Responds to phone calls and written inquiries from public and attorneys.
• Performs related work, including clerical, as required.
• Assists Judge with various administrative duties.
• Performs other duties as assigned.